The aim of PDHPE at Stage 6 is to develop in each student a capacity to think critically about key issues related to health and physical activity in order to make informed decisions that support and contribute to healthy, active lifestyles and communities.
Through the study of PDHPE, students will develop:
- values and attitudes that promote healthy and active lifestyles and communities
- knowledge and understanding of the factors that affect health
- a capacity to exercise influence over personal and community health outcomes
- knowledge and understanding about the way the body moves
- an ability to take action to improve participation and performance in physical activity
- an ability to apply the skills of critical thinking, research and analysis.
The PDHPE Syllabus includes two 120 hour courses.
The Preliminary course consists of two core modules representing 60% of course time. An options component representing 40% of course time includes four options of which students are to study two.
The HSC course consists of two core modules representing 60% of course time. An options component representing 40% of course time includes five options of which students are to study two.